Hey everybody I’m back with my first wash day after having surgery on my ankle. Yep you read correctly. I have not washed my hair since February 4th. I usually do all my wash day activities in the shower and since with my shower chair I can only face forward and not maneuver my hair the way I need to, I just waited until I had enough strength to wash my hair at the kitchen sink. Well I did exactly that and trust me when I say, my hair needed it. It had become dry, brittle, the shedding was insane, and my scalp! My poor sweet scalp was suffocating. So I broke out the big guns a.k.a. my go to clarifying shampoo and went to work.
|My hair before washing it-No moisture, just dryness. I should be ashamed!!|
1. Shampoo-After sitting a chair against the sink and kneeling on it, I rinsed my hair with water for about five minutes. I just wanted to get all the debris and dirt that built up in my hair for four weeks out of there. I also did a little finger detangling on my hair under the running water. I then shampooed with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo. I love this for my hair because it gets my hair and my scalp really clean without stripping it. I remember when I started my hair journey and used Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. My hair would be like straw after using it, but not with Redken. I need to restock up because I’m near the end of the bottle I have now.
|GVP Humectress w/JBCO. I bought this bowl to color my hair, but I mix conditioner in it now.|
2. Deep Condition-I am in the Castor Oil challenge on Hairlista and I am in the extreme group. One of the requirements is to use castor oil in your deep conditioner. Well that was not a problem as I have been doing that for a while now. I used my GVP Humectress conditioner and my JBCO and put it in my hair in five sections. I left it on with two plastic caps for about two hours while I watched television with my girls. I then rinsed it out and used a t shirt to dry for another 30 minutes.
3. Leave Ins-After t shirt drying I applied Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer spray and Cream of Nature Argan Oil Perfect 7 leave in conditioner to each section of hair and detangled.
4. Styling-My plan was to blow dry my hair and flat iron it but I was only able to blow dry. I applied Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer spray to each section of my hair and dried on high air/low heat. I tried to flat iron but made it through about three small sections of hair within one section and realized that my hair had had it. My ends were not feeling and I did not want to risk any more damage than might have been, so I packed my flat iron and put it away.
5. Moisturize and Seal-After my flat iron fiasco, I moisturized my hair with Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter moisturizer and baggyed my whole head with a shower cap for two hours. I decided to give the baggy method another shot because my hair needs moisture right now and I’ll try anything to get it. After baggying I sealed my hair with my blend of EVCO and JBCO, massaged a bit of JBCO in my scalp and problem areas and put my hair in a bun. I have to say the baggy method did the trick because my hair felt very moisturized afterwards with none of the mushiness that I have experienced in the past (more on that in another post).
I have to say this wash day was pretty interesting but I can’t wait to get back to my usual routine with my shower but now I know that I can complete a wash day session with limited mobility on my feet. I certainly learned about my hair too. I’m putting away the heat tools for a while until I get my moisture levels back under control. Heatless styling is no stranger to me at all. As far as shedding is concerned, I am positive that it may be my blood pressure medication. However it is keeping my blood pressure down, so I may try to incorporate black tea rinses again and look into making a garlic oil for my scalp and see how that does. As far as my next relaxer, I planned on doing it myself at the end of the month, but I might have to postpone it until I get this shedding under control. Well that’s all for now.
How was your last wash day? Follow the link up on Saving Our Strands and Just Grow Already. Click the box below to find out about the #washdayexperience!!!